Polystyrene foam has been utilized in a number of fields for over 40 years because of its superior characteristics.
Although its usefulness is widely recognized, there had been a period in which a movement against polystyrene foam was launched due to incorrect information. According to the wrong information, toxic gas was produced from incineration of polystyrene foam, compounded by alleged damages to incinerators and alleged use of harmful chlorofluorocarbon gas in its production, among others. Contrary to these claims, only water and carbon gas, and not toxic gas, are produced from incineration of polystyrene foam. There are no negative effects on incinerators, either, and no harmful CFC gas is used in the production of polystyrene foam.
Polystyrene foam is the lightest in weight and energy-saving when used as various packing materials, and the emission of CO2 in the final incineration is small, thus contributing to the control of global warming.
In addition, we are making industry-wide efforts to recycle polystyrene foam, which we believe will help protect the environment of the earth.
We sincerely hope that in using polystyrene foam, customers correctly understand it.
1)polystyrene foam products
Of polystyrene foam, Expanded Polystyrene or EPS is thermoformed in steam by placing polystyrene beads containing foaming agent in a mold. This is usually called molded product. It is light, and has excellent shock absorbing and thermal insulation performance, and for that reason used as impact absorbing material and containers.Another is polystyrene paper or PSP, which is made by softening polystyrene resin blended with foaming agent, and extruded in a sheet form. This sheet is again softened and formed by thermoforming into trays and others for use as fish, meat and other food containers.
2)Helping people with the following features
- Polystyrene foam has superior thermal insulation performance. For that reason, it is an essential material in cold storage and heat retention of food and others.
- It is light weight, excels in shock absorption performance, and therefore is suitable as a damage-prevention material.
- It is sanitary, water-resistant, and thus useful in protecting items that are susceptible to deterioration by moisture.
- It is a light and sturdy packing material. Because it is foamed, materials can be saved.
- Complex and highly precise processing is possible. Various forming, depending on purposes, can be easily and promptly made.
- It can be also used as thermal insulation material for buildings as a useful energy saving material for comfortable lifestyle.
3）For correct understanding of polystyrene foam packing materials
- The percentage of polystyrene foam in waste is not large.
- The percentage of polystyrene foam in waste is 0.7%.
- CFC is not used in the production of polystyrene foam.
- Chlorofluorocarbon, which induces global warming with the greenhouse effect it causes and the destruction of the ozone layer, is not used in the manufacturing process.
- Toxic gas, such as dioxin, is not produced when polystyrene foam is incinerated.
- Polystyrene foam is a substance that does not contain chlorine, and for that reason does not produce dioxin when incinerated alone. In addition, black smoke is produced when air supply is insufficient in incineration, but this is non-toxic soot (carbon).
- It helps protection of forests.
- By substituting paper trays and impact-absorbing materials with polystyrene foam, the use of pulp can be reduced. This in turn protects forests which absorb and fixate carbon gas, a major cause of global warming.
- It is an easily-recyclable material.
- Polystyrene foam is easy to visually detect, and therefore a material that can be easily separated and collected. It can be recycled into a raw material for plastics.
- It is polystyrene foam that produces little CO2 gas.
- When polystyrene foam is incinerated due to significant stains which makes it unsuitable for recycling, it produces only a small amount of CO2 gas which in turn negatively influences global warming. In comparison with cardboard, the amount of CO2 gas produced in incineration is smaller for polystyrene foam.